Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Working in DC

It's always so interesting working in the district, and those of us who do take things for granted that most people travel here on their precious vacations to see. My last job was right near the White House, and I often walked down there during lunch to see all the crazy people in the little park behind it. This new job is a stone's throw from the Capitol, which is actually really beautiful and a very impressive structure. I'm also in walking distance from the new American Indian museum. Pretty neat. I actually took a walk during lunch today cause the weather was so nice.

So I bet you're wondering how I like my new job? It's definitely less stressful--but it's the holidays so it's hard to tell what it will really be like. The commute is certainly shorter. The people are a heck of a lot nicer. So from what I can tell, things are looking good. The early hours really suck, but also mean I'm home earlier in the evening and have more time to do what I want to do, if I can stay awake that is. Dare I have my hopes up??

3 comments:

jeffro said...

you love work!

Anonymous said...

I too once had a job near the White House, and it was always fun to take a peek down that way. Plus, walking past the White House on the way to work always made me feel like I was going to some big, important, high-profile job.

My current job is near the Segway dealership. Walking past that just makes me feel like I'm some sort of urbanite, so I suppose the accuracy of my surroudings has increased, right?

NOAAgirl said...

Your post makes me think of the weirdness of going to Georgetown.... walking around campus and seeing Madeline Albright walking towards you (so short), semester lecturers included Powell, Gore, Jose Marie Aznar, etc. I can remember turning down tickets to see Clinton or Gore or someone speak because, meh, who cared. At my undergrad college... no one would have turned down an invitation like that. At Georgetown, meh, whatever.