Wednesday, December 14, 2005

CC's Famous Lentil Soup

Since some of you have asked, I guess I will put my secret lentil soup recipe online, although it somewhat pains me. I made a nice batch of it last night. It's great in this cold weather, very hardy. Serve it with some crusty Italian bread and red wine, and you've got a great meal.

olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 small onion
1 or 2 sticks of celery
potatoes (optional, small cubes)
carrots (optional, finely diced)
1 can chicken broth (or part of a bouillion cube)
1 bag of lentils (prepare per bag directions, some you need to soak)
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
red pepper flakes (if you like spicy)
pepperoni or turkey pepperoni (about 15-20 thin slices, cut into quarters)
7-8 cups of water

Saute the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots (if you include those) in olive oil for about 5 minutes until tender. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook at a slow simmer for at least an hour until everything is tender. The key is to keep going back and tasting and add the salt/pepper/red pepper as you like it. The other key is to keep adding water if it starts looking dry. Soup should be thick but not lumpy.

4 comments:

NOAAgirl said...

Can you say "desperate for attention" much? That was mean of me. I'm sorry.

I haven't tried to make the soup yet - but it is on the list of things to make when the weather really sucks! Judging by recent trends, I'm going to be making this a lot (duh, I work at NOAA, I should know weather)

What red wine are you drinking with this? I thought you didn't like red wine. Can I drink it with white? You're skewing my worldview, man! Hee hee.

CC said...

Me desperate for attention or my wonderful new friend Horace?

I don't normally drink red wine, but I'm trying to get to like them more. For a soup like this, I think because it's so hardy it calls for red. But I could be wrong. I had it with a beaujolais, which was all I had in the house. I think it could have gone better with something a little heavier. You are the expert, so you'll have to tell me!

NOAAgirl said...

Horace- of course

I would hardly call myself an expert. I make a choice of wine that no one hated. I think that only qualifies me as "lucky."

That being said - I might try a nice Chilean Merlot. Of course, that's the only other red wine I like, and I have never made nor eaten the soup (yet) - so maybe I'll be lucky twice!

jeffro said...

has this turned into a wine blog? y'all should recommend a "wine of the week!"