Monday, December 19, 2005



First Day on the Job

Well, I survived my first full day at my new job. And while I am glad to have gotten out of my old job, I must say that the reality is, I just don't want to be working. Period. While it's all new and exciting, I still have to endure a rather bad commute and drag my ass someplace I don't want to be at a time in the morning when I really don't even want to be awake. And although I have some nice perks already lined up (see below) and hopefully will be working with people who aren't insane, it's still just a job like any other.

My first day started with absolutely everyone getting in late. I basically sat in my office entertaining myself for a while before anyone ever showed up to tell me where the refrigerator, bathroom, etc. were. I had a quick meeting with my boss first thing, in which I learned that I'm going to Las Vegas in about 3 weeks. I've never been and I'm so thrilled! Apparently we're staying at the Venetian, in suites that are 700 square feet with living rooms and sunken bathtubs. Can I just move there? Then apparently I'm taking a Steven Covey workshop in February, and going to CT in March to give a presentation on the status of the organization. Uh . . . hopefully by then I'll have some clue about that.

On the one hand, my boss knows how to treat her employees. We went to lunch at Bistro Bis at the Hotel George downtown. I had a wonderful appetizer of manchego cheese, and seared scallops as the entree. I must say they were the best scallops I'd ever had. We of course also had to have dessert. So that killed a good 2-1/2 hours. However, on the other hand, for some odd reason she gave me an interesting first "project"--addressing her company Christmas cards. I'm really not sure why, as we have an admin assistant . . . maybe this was some kind of weird test of my willingness to do crappy assignments?

This week looks like it will be pretty slow, and I'll get to do some reading and acclimating to my new surroundings. Next week the boss is taking off 2 days, which will be nice. The bad thing about this job is that big brother is watching big time from what I understand, and I don't think I will be able to do any blogging or checking personal email while at work. So I'll have to try to check out whether that's true from other staff members as I get to know them.

No comments: