Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Damn Greeks

Ok, I'll finally report on my weekend with the Greek ordeal/christening. That's always how I think of these events.

Friday I took my sister who is visiting from FL to the doctor. Of course, she wasn't happy with what the doc said, but she never is. (She has an ongoing, somewhat serious health condition). The rest of the day was fun, I had my 2nd drum lesson, got my haircut, then went to see
Some Brave Apollo and The Strohs at Rhodeside Grill with Jeffro. We were craving some junk food afterwards, and actually stopped at McDonald's, which is so unlike either of us.

Saturday I decided to go out to find a dress for said christening on Sunday. Yes, nothing like the last minute. I also got my sister from FL a dress too. A successful trip and we both looked smashing (or is it smashed?), I'm sure.

The christening was at 1 on Sunday. A very nice ceremony, but there was a bunch of little family bullshit going on at the church--for example, my mother getting mad about sitting in the 2nd versus 1st row, crap like that. I got the fun job of having to pin these little things on everyone as they left the church, boy was that stressful! I was cranking through people pretty quickly, so hopefully there wasn't too much of a bottleneck.

The party afterwards was held at my sister's 11,000+ square foot home, in the backyard. She had a big tent set up for dinner and was expecting like 370 people, 100+ which were kids. There were 3 bars total, one just for the kids, one in the tennis/basketball court, and one in the tent. My sister hired this company to entertain the children, and it was just unbelievable. A mini-carousel, inflatable rock-climbing wall, moonbounce, storyteller, and some sort of reptile show. Whatever happened to kids just running around and entertaining themselves?

The hors d'oevres were enough to make a full meal, so I really had to pace myself. Dinner was filet mignon, fish stuffed with crabmeat, and a chicken dish, along with various sides and a salad. Dessert was pastries, cookies, and a huge Noah's ark cake that had taken the bakers some 80 hours to complete and decorate (how this is possible without the cake going bad, I have no idea but this is what my brother-in-law claimed). I actually had a pretty decent time, hung out with friends of my sister and Jeffro.

Monday morning I got up early to go say goodbye to my relatives. That whole process was quite a fiasco and took hours, and I can't even bore you with the details here. Then I went home to deal with my sick dog (see previous post from Monday). Crazy!

No comments: