Sunday, July 02, 2006

Weekend Excitement

Well, there was plenty of excitement and drama this weekend, much of it not good. I had a small tiff with my sister, among others. I was consequently in a pretty bad mood for much of the weekend. The highlight of the weekend was Lady Brett's party on Saturday. Check out her blog for a great couscous salad recipe. And look through the archives for her famous black bean and corn recipe. Makes me want to have a party and make some great food. Maybe later this summer. Today's drama came in the form of yet more torrential rains for the DC area. This time it came with a dramatic thunderstorm, and lightening hit the building attached to mine. Apparently it hit the chimney, but it sounded like glass exploding. I screamed cause it was so loud and startling, then looked outside to see if my outside light (or anyone else's) had been hit. I couldn't see anything, so I went about my business and soon smelled a little smoke. I thought I'd call my neighbor to see if she smelled anything and looked outside and saw 2 huge firetrucks and an ambulance. They found where the building had been hit and couldn't find anything on fire, so after a few minutes they went on their way. Nothing like a little drama to liven a Sunday night. I just discovered that my TV upstairs isn't working. I just flipped a circuit to see if that will help, need to go back up and check it out.

4 comments:

jeffro said...

nice picture!

NOAAgirl said...

WOW! I remember when we moved into our house, there was a HUGE thunderstorm, and lightning hit a tree or something across the street. Well all the boys were standing out in the garage next to a GIANT METAL moving truck. I was convinced that all we were going to find was little, charred, smokey bodies. That s$%t is SCARY. Glad to hear that there was no fire though. I'm starting to think that your condos are cursed (floods, lightning).

We didn't have any storms last night, weird.

CC said...

I never thought of that but it has been like Armageddon here lately. Perhaps you're right!

Anonymous said...

It was pretty wild over in Alex, too. Power was out for 3 hours. I had half a mind to head over to Foxchase, which never lost power when I lived there before, but signs told me the next day they were out til midnight! Another good downpour last night, too. Surprised no one got hit by lightning on the Mall... --mj