Saturday, April 08, 2006

Weekend Rocks

This weekend started with a bang last night when Jeffro and I went to Jammin' Java to see 4 bands play for the Six Points Festival. First of all, I have to say 4 bands in any evening is at least one band too many. What were they thinking? Things always start and run late, and even having 3 bands in an evening is a lot. So next year the planners need to rethink this concept. It was a great show overall, but by the end I was like, enough with the new bands and changing of sets. Here's my little review of the acts:

Shwa: I'd seen
Shwa solo once at Staccato a long time ago. It was fun to see him with a band, and their songs were catchy and melodic. However, as a first opener, they shouldn't have played so long--see above diatribe about too many bands, running late, etc.

Hotspur: Jeffro had included one of their songs on his blog and music mixes, a very mellow beautiful tune called Have You Seen This Girl. However, their live show and rest of their music is quite different. They are very high energy, crazy guys who jump around, make crazy faces, etc. When they first started playing I was just laughing cause it was borderline absurd. However, they won me over with their antics and really cool tunes and in the end I was very entertained--in a good way--by their performance. They kind of reminded me of the band The Darkness (I Believe in a Thing Called Love). They were simply a lot of fun. And they are apparently Jeffro's new favorite band.

Honor by August: I was also familiar with this band, thanks to Jeffro, and I really like their song, Only in Photographs. They are a good band, however, in my opinion their songs sound too much alike (once you've heard Only in Photographs, you've heard it all) and they need to vary things up a little to keep it interesting. Great harmony, by the way, from the bass player.

Junkfood: Last but not by any means least was Junkfood. The lead singer had a really strong voice and they had fantastic, perfect harmonies going on with the drummer and lead guitar singing on most of the songs. I love harmony and thought they were outstanding. Many of their harmonies were reminiscent of Bon Jovi's Jon and Ritchie, or Def Leppard. They definitely had very strong pop singles, which I love. Plus what I loved the most about them was the lead singer and drummer were both chewing gum--that is what I do when I sing or have to give a speech cause my mouth gets too dry otherwise. Very cool to see someone else doing it. I always wonder how people can sing for so long without dying, even if they're drinking a lot of water. Jeffro bought their CD, so I'm going to have to borrow it.

That's it for now. I really need to get in the shower and get my day started. I am going to run errands/shop since it's raining. Tonight is a mellow night given the busy week, probably grocery shopping and watching a movie or something. Tomorrow I'm having brunch with a friend I haven't seen in a while. That's about it for the rest of the weekend.

1 comment:

jeffro said...

let's hear it for gum!