Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Catherine, the Great

This post is in tribute to my grandmother, who died on Christmas morning. She was 90 years old. Needless to say, this was not the happiest of holidays. I am so sad that I didn't get a chance to call and wish her a Merry Christmas and I hadn't talked to her in a while. I hate regrets. There are always regrets. Apparently her health had really been declining for about a month, and everyone in NY knew she wouldn't last much longer. Of course, no one told the family down here in VA. They didn't want to upset us. So apparently it's less upsetting when someone dies more suddenly than you expect them to . . . but I digress. My grandmother was a warm, funny, neurotic, wonderful lady who was always upbeat and loving. I have some really great memories of her, and I will really miss her. I'm heading out of town Thursday for the services on Long Island. May she rest in peace, and may my 91-year-old grandfather find a way to get through this.

As an aside, I heard a song that I used to sing in church on the radio yesterday, before I learned that my grandmother had died, and wondered why they were playing it, since it wasn't a holiday song. It was called "Let There Be Peace on Earth," sung by Vince Gill. Of course, the message is a very holiday message, but I had never heard this on the radio before. I like to think it was some sort of mystical acknowledgement of her passing.

3 comments:

NOAAgirl said...

I'm so sorry to hear it. If it's any consolation, with James Brown and Gerald Ford dying around the same time, at least she is going to be amused and entertained in the line to enter St. Peter's Gate.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Mine passed a couple days before Christmas four years ago. That first holiday was tough, but as I remembered it this year, I thought what a magical time to go...

Hugs,
Donna

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your grandmother. These things are tough at any time of the year. Hang in there, and I'll talk to you soon. --mj