Monday, April 29, 2013

Senseless, Sad Part of the Weekend

Saturday night people were looking for a lost dog when I went out to take my dogs for the last time. The girl said she lived nearby and had taken the dog's collar off as she went to enter her building. My question: Why the hell would you do that? The area is so busy, if you don't want a collar on, why not wait until you are in your apartment?

The next day the husband was driving around passing out flyers to dog people, very smart. I told him to email it to me as I knew a lot of dog people and I would help get the word out. So I spent the morning doing that when I really didn't have the time, but I knew time was of the essence cause this dog was a puppy and didn't even know her name.

That afternoon I had my writing group, and as I was driving home on the highway, there was a dead something on the side of the road that was black and tan--the dog was black and tan. I couldn't imagine what else it could be, as it couldn't be a raccoon or whatever and I just knew it was the dog. It was gruesome and so very awful. Now that picture is in my head...

I didn't know what to do, but felt I had to call the husband, so I told him what I saw and where. I told him I wasn't sure, but that he should go look and if he needed help to call the police rather than getting out of the car. Why did it have to be me who found the dead dog? What a terrible coincidence.

I wanted to know the outcome but I didn't ask him to let me know cause I felt kind of weird and morbid about it, but he did email me later that night that it was his indeed dog. So sad and negligent. I am just crushed as this was completely the owner's fault. I know dogs get away from people and that has happened to everyone, but to intentionally take off a collar for no reason when you live right off the highway? I just don't know how people are so stupid with their pets.

No comments: