Saturday, September 30, 2006

Well, It's True

We are officially moving our offices to Herndon, just a few miles from Jeffro's office, matter of fact. However, they understand that many people will not want to go, will help us with our job search, let us take time off to interview, give us references, etc. so this provides a perfect out of my job for me without anyone's feelings getting hurt and without having to sneak around and interview. So I am taking the easy way out.

I hate what I do--the actual tasks themselves are boring and not what I want to be doing--so there's no reason to stay. I had two very interesting conversations yesterday that confirmed that I should leave:

1. My boss has said she's not leaving anytime soon, so that doesn't give me any promotional opportunity to stop doing the work I don't like doing. And doesn't give me any hope of getting out from underneath her micromanaging thumb.
2. The CEO, who it was rumored wanted to promote me, gave me no indication of that in a closed door conversation with him. Rather, he staunchly defended my boss (despite rumors that he and my boss were clashing) and he made it really clear that he didn't mind her micromanaging style because it got results. Who cares if everyone is unhappy because of it? Basically, reading between the lines, if it's a choice between her or me, I'm not wanted there. I was very surprised at his lack of support.

So I thought the writing on the wall seemed really clear, and like I said this is a great opportunity to get out without having to sneak around, plus I can get great references. Who can beat that? So ladies and gentlemen, I'll be gone hopefully before our move in January.

2 comments:

NOAAgirl said...

Man, I wish I had as easy an out as you. I just put in my resume for the open position in the office I am on detail to right now (all through my personal email address, too; plus these people want everything to be on the up and up and no signs of preference/funny business). I am so conflicted about how I am going to deal with my boss if things go well.

CC said...

Yeah, that's a little sticky. But you have to do what's right for you. And if it goes really well she won't be your boss anymore so who cares!