Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Stick a Fork in Me

I'm just done for the day . . . well 10 days actually. I leave tomorrow for sunny CA . . . for business, mind you, but hopefully I'll catch some beach time when I'm in Marina Del Ray. Did you know that's where the pilot to Gilligan's Island was filmed? Here are the highlights of my incredibly stressful day:

1. The admin assistant who is supposed to help me ship materials has been fighting with me all day about a shipment. She keeps asking me questions and I'm like "why can't you just fucking figure this out yourself?" People around here can't even wipe their own asses most days, it's sad. I've spent most of my day on something completely ridiculous, but what else is new.

2. I get an invitation to a banquet while I'm in CA, call the guy to rsvp yes, and he basically asks why I'm calling him on his cell phone on his day off. I said I was responding to the invitation--which said to CALL HIS CELL PHONE! So then he realizes he sent the invitation to the wrong person. Instead of just making nice and letting me come anyway--after I've invited him for years to our banquet--he says "oh good, thanks for calling so I can send it to the right person." So I told him I was busy that day anyway. Can we say asshole?

3. I spent at least 1/2 hour on the phone with Comcast trying to get some charges removed from my bill. It's too long a story to go into, but I think that I was successful. I'll have to wait until next month's bill to see if I have to fight with them some more.

4. I get a call from the big boss for a "favor" that I "can turn down if I want" that involves having to review about 25 of our grant applications. This is definitely in that realm of "other duties as assigned" and not something I normally do, or really am qualified to do. So I say yes--seeing how my review is coming up in August and they always remember stuff like this towards the end of the year--and now I'll be getting a nice little stack of grants to review on my trip, when I'm also working 10 days with only 2 days off. Fun!

Anyway, for those of you who care, I probably won't have much internet access while I'm gone, so have a very safe and happy July 4th, and I'll be back to blogging on the 6th.

1 comment:

MJ said...

HA-ha! Just figured out how to link from my comments here to my journal... that has nothing to do with your post, but... Hope CA was fun!