Thursday, August 09, 2007

DC Restaurant Week!

Jeffro and I participated in DC restaurant week tonight by going to Willow, where we were supposed to have gone for Valentine's Day but didn't cause that's when my sister first got sick and I went to FL. We both had Sea Scallops with Eggplant Ravioli, Shiitake Mushrooms & Sun-Dried Tomatoes for the appetizer. It was absolutely delicious and probably the best course. I'm not a big mushroom fan, but these were some damn good 'shrooms! Then Jeffro had the Miniature Rack of Pork Stuffed with House Made Sausage, Baked Tomato Tart, Roasted Cipolini Onions and Ham Hock “Jus”. Apparently the latest thing in the culinary world is to serve pork "medium rare." Um, I'll skip the trichinosis, thanks. Jeffro actually had to send it back once cause it was too rare. I had the Tournedos of Pepper Crusted Filet Mignon, Potato Tart, Red Wine Mushrooms, Crispy Onion Rings and Beef Jus. Boy was that rich but delicious. The filet was beautifully cooked and tender, and the beef jus was outstanding. For dessert, we both selected the Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake with Danish Sweet Cream Ice Cream and Caramel Sauce. I should have chosen the fudge brownie sundae instead cause the sticky toffee pudding cake wasn't as impressive as it sounded. It had the consistency of banana bread, but without bananas it was weird and the caramel sauce tasted a little burned. So I would say that was the least successful course for me. Do I sound Iron Chef enough yet? It was a nice meal, if a little rushed cause the place was packed. Saturday we head to Hook for lunch, so I'll have to give you the full report after that.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Sounds good! We're going to Tosca on Saturday night. Can't wait!

CC said...

Cool, let me know how it is cause I've never been.