Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tragic Events of Late

Boy, this has been a rough week, to say the least.

My brother in law's cousin, who was only 10, just passed away on Father's Day. She was born with a problematic heart and has had a pacemaker her whole life. So I guess there was always the chance something bad would happen, but she'd been doing so well, and having a fun, normal "kid's life" that you forget about the hand that fate dealt her. She had probably a heart attack this past week and passed away after about a week in the hospital on life support. She was a great kid--very kind and considerate of others, always willing to lend a hand. I would have liked to have seen the woman she would have been. I just got back from the funeral, and found out that prophetically she had told her grandmother that she didn't want to grow old, she wanted to die instead. Freaky.

The other sad news of the week is about the DC metro crash. I can't even imagine the hell they went through. My grandfather, who is 94 years old and still sharp as a tack, called me in a panic last night to make sure I hadn't been on the metro, remembering that I used to take it for work. Boy, that sure made me feel good that he cared enough to call, as he doesn't very often pick up the phone.

In any case, let's hope the week of tragedy has ended with the Ed McMahon trifecta . . .

2 comments:

Funny Girl said...

So sorry about your b-in-law's cousin. A child should be allowed to grow old.

CC said...

Sorry I bummed you out!