Thursday, May 21, 2009

Restaurant 3 Review

Last night Jeffro and I went to Restaurant 3 for his birthday. I wanted to try someplace different, and thought I'd remembered him talking about it sometime. Even though the menu didn't seem to be quite his thing, I went ahead with it anyway. Boy are we glad we did.

We had some old fashioned cocktails to start with, I had a Raspberry Rickey and he had a Ginger Collins. Even though I don't really like gin much, my drink went down pretty easy. For appetizers we had the Tuna Lollipops and Fried Oysters (Funny Girl Goes Blog would love both of these!). The tuna reminded me of Carlyle's awesome Seared Tuna Salad, and the oysters were substantial, the cornmeal crust perfectly crispy and the inside melt-in-your-mouth creamy.

For dinner Jeffro had the Scallops and Grits and I had the Smothered Trout. I had been debating the Crab-Crusted Black Cod or Blackened Catfish, but when I asked the waiter which he would recommend he said the Smothered Trout was the best. Since I don't normally go for "smothered" food I was doubtful, but this wasn't a typical "smothered" dish. The trout was smothered with mussels and shrimp over a bed of grits, with a wonderfully fragrant tomato-based sauce. It was crazy good. To accompany the trout I chose the Ferrari-Carano Fume Blanc, which was divine.

Altogether a great, and very filling, meal. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to foodies everywhere. My only complaint is I would have preferred to sit out on the balcony.

2 comments:

Funny Girl said...

I have to try this place...I am not much for Trout...but your dish sounds devine.

NOAAgirl said...

:( You know, it's posts like these that make me hate living in England. Good food around here is changing the oil they fry your "chips" (french fries" in.

Glad you had a good meal! Hope you have an excellent weekend away.