Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Crazy (But True) Story

This story completely made my day today. I'm really stressed out at work this week--we have a huge deadline looming at the end of the week and it's really putting everyone to the test to get everything done. I had to work late tonight, and probably will the rest of the week. However, this lunchtime entertainment really made my day bearable. I was in a good mood the rest of the afternoon.

In the complex where I work, they have been holding afternoon concerts once a month this summer. I was curious to see today's band, Don't Panic because last month's jazz duo was quite good. I walked down to the area where the band was playing, and noticed that my drum teacher was their drummer! What a surprise! I knew he played in a band, but didn't know the name of it. Well, now I do. I must say it was a good performance and it was really great to watch my drum teacher perform. I'd never seen him perform before, and it kind of validated that he's a good teacher. He made drumming look so effortless, which it's not. It was almost like getting a mini-lesson/performance because he was (it turns out purposely) using some techniques that we'd just been talking about the lesson before. He came and talked to me afterwards, and he verified that he'd been doing some things specifically for me to see how they would work in a performance. So that was really cool! And it turns out their band does a lot of great work for charity, so that's another reason to go to their website and see what they're all about.

The other even crazier thing that happened during the performance was this woman came to listen with her dog on a leash and kid in a stroller. The kid was old enough to walk, so at one point he was toddling around and he started getting away, as did the dog. I reached over and grabbed the dog's leash as it went by, and the woman came over to get it from me and thank me. About 5 minutes later, the kid came toddling over to me (I was pretty far away from them) and reached out his arms for me to pick him up! It was so hilarious! I didn't know what to do, so I picked him up and put him in my lap for part of the show. He was having a grand old time with his new-found friend, and I kept gesturing over the mother at first that I had no idea why he had come over to me. Hilarious! He finally went back to her, but came back to bring me a leaf and then again to check on the leaf. After the performance, my drum teacher asked if I knew them, and I told him I'd never seem them before in my life. What a weird story. Things like that, luckily, happen to me all the time. I say luckily because I like having a good, weird story to tell. And it's 100% true!

2 comments:

jeffro said...

this sounds like it's 98.98% true!

MJ said...

Kids and dogs, man! They know good people on sight!