Wednesday, January 16, 2013

13 Days to Crash and Burn (Or, Sad But True Dating Truths)

So much for NY Eve opportunities, it took precisely 13 days for things to end with the new guy. I don't know what is going on with dating these days except here are the top 5 truths I've unfortunately uncovered recently:

1. Everyone is lying. A lot. Three guys I broke up with last year were lying about other women, thinking I wouldn't find out. Guys, we're not stupid. You make stupid excuses, hide it poorly, and we're not supposed to know? Come on.

2. Dating doesn't exist anymore. Guys don't want to date or have committed relationships. In the DC area, where the ratio of women to men is ridiculous, guys have their pick of a lot of girls. And they go with that. And try to sleep with as many of them as possible with no commitment afterwards.

3. Real communication doesn't exist either. Guys think it's ok to ask you out or "talk" to you via text and never pick up the phone. Really? I used to refuse to go out via text request, but I realized if I do that, then I'll never have any dates.

4. Marriage is on the rocks. Of the current guys in my "flirtation rotation," two are married. One of them has approached me seriously about taking things further, claiming an "open marriage." WTF?

5. Age doesn't matter anymore. In the past few months, I have been out with a 23-year-old and a 60-year-old. And they were both equally as immature and didn't last.

Anyway, that's my assessment of what's going on out there. Anyone have similar experiences? Think I'm out of my mind?

3 comments:

LRJ~ said...

1)Courtship doesn't exist anymore. Used to be a time where a Man made a point of wooing a woman. Showing her what he had to offer.
2) Everyone wants everything NOW! No patience. Par for the society we life in with a fast-pace get it instantly life. Why wait and build something when I can go out and get something else (that may be better?).
3) Everyone Lies. Men, Women....Everyone. Dating is a Game. It's like a Chess match - move and counter-moves.
4)Everyone's got a story because everyone is a little fucked up in one way or another. It's just a matter to what degree and that's because....
5) Nobody's Perfect. Everyone has an idea of what they want yet are far less likely to compromise. Maybe accept a little less in one dept. to get more in another? Nah...everyone wants it all. Truth is, you can't have it all. If you think so, you will be disappointed.

Best thing you can do IMHO is find a decent enough guy who who like, gte along with, vibe with who may need some sprucing up. Get him to change for the better and hope the changes stick. Develop a Keeper and he will always appreciate you for that. Ultimately that's what you want....Someone who appreciates you.

CC said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I liked what you had to say. I agree, you can't have it all, but it's got to get closer than what I've experienced lately! It can be pretty discouraging. The only thing I'm not sure I agree with is to change someone. I don't know if that works or just builds resentment. Plus once you develop a keeper, they may just leave and someone else benefits . . . that's what happened to me. But that's a whole other blog post ;)

CC said...

LRJ - one more thing about your #4 - I agree everyone is fucked up. It's a matter of what you can and can't deal with. For example, a guy's fucked-upness to me might be a deal breaker, but to someone else just a minor blip. It all depends on what you can and can't accept and tolerate about the other person.