Friday, October 09, 2009

Loving Chi-Town

Boy, I have always loved Chicago, and this trip was no different. When I arrived Monday night, I had such an ordeal getting to my hotel that I immediately needed a drink and went to the hotel bar. I had a late reception to go to, then some girls and I went to Devon. Since I'd already eaten, I only had their complimentary biscuit, which was amazing, and immediately regretted my earlier dinner at the hotel.

I also went to a great sushi bar/sake bar called Izumi. My friend and I did the flight tasting of four different premium sake, and it was awesome. We also shared the spicy scallop roll, and it was just amazing.

I was in Chicago for a conference, which went pretty well, and included an architectural tour of the new building at the Art Institute of Chicago. What an amazing place, with a view of Millennium Park, which had been built long after my last visit to Chicago, and the new "Bean." I also finally got to see the "Married with Children" fountain, which I had somehow missed in previous visits.

I stayed at the Hilton Suites, right on Magnificent Mile, and really enjoyed getting to walk around Chi-Town. I had lunch with a friend I hadn't seen in like 12 years at Bistro 110, and my last day got some of Giordano's famous deep dish pizza.

I really, really wanted to go to Vosges Haut Chocolate, but in the end I had to decide between that or the American Girl store to get a gift for my niece who was having a birthday. Being the nice aunt that I am, I chose the latter. Sigh. But overall, a great trip. I just wish Chi-Town wasn't so cold, or I would have moved there long ago.

No comments: