Saturday, July 12, 2008

Unprofessionalism at Its Finest

Well, I had an interesting conclusion to my work week yesterday. We had been using a consultant for this past year to do some work for us. We treated him as part of the staff: he had an office, phone extension, email address, etc. And he had been given our member database, our leads, and some of our insider stories about "bad" members. We decided to let him go this week for many reasons, but it was supposedly an amicable parting, and he was ready to be let go. So mutual decision.

In any case, no one was told the terms of letting go: is he finishing out his contract year, or just completely out of the picture? Then I got an email from him about something work-related, so I figured he was finishing out the rest of his contract year. I later sent him a message asking him to contact one of our "problem members," which I called "problem member" in the email, which he promptly forwarded to said member with my phone number.

Talk about unprofessional, spiteful, mean, and fully setting ablaze the bridge with our organization. I was completely horrified, and the member of course called me two minutes later, indignant. Talk about embarrassing. (I guess that's why they say don't put anything in an email you wouldn't want getting back to the person, but you don't suspect that sort of thing with "trusted" coworkers.)

My boss is completely livid (as was I) and going to talk to the CEO to express her displeasure at the consultant's idiocy. The industry I work in is small and quite incestuous, so why would he want to piss us off it he wants to continue working in the industry? Our CEO knows everyone and is very well-liked. Why burn bridges when there was no malice to the letting go? Unbelievable. Needless to say, it was a two-glass-of-wine night last night.

No comments: