Saturday, July 12, 2008

Animal Update

Just a quick post to say my beloved dog is still hanging in there, plus I got news yesterday that I might not have to go to my conference for the whole time, which is a huge relief. Cause if she's still around, I don't want to be gone for an entire week. She actually had a great week--her appetite was good, no vomiting, taking walks around the block, etc. (It's sad when this constitutes a great week.)

In other animal news, Jeffro and I rescued a baby Cardinal a couple of weeks ago. It had fallen down the window well as it was learning to fly and got trapped. I went down into the well and got it out, much to the distress of the parent Cardinals who were chirping frantically. I called Animal Control to ask what to do, but they said this is the course of nature and there is not much to be done. So we couldn't really do much else to help, and eventually just got on with things and hoped for the best for this bird.

Yesterday, there was a baby cardinal in the backyard, clinging for dear life to a flower on my hydrangea plant. It managed to fly up to the fence, where its hovering parent met and fed it. It was such a sweet moment, and Jeffro pointed out it was probably the same bird from a few weeks ago. So, hopefully the bird will have a happy ending as he gets bigger and better at flying.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Glad to hear that Pepper's hanging in there, for what it's worth.

Also, fyi, if you find another bird that is obviously injured and is not getting help from its feathered friends, you can always get a shoebox and bring it to the Alexandria Animal Welfare League, as they send the birds (and other wildlife) off to rehabbers.