Friday, September 28, 2007

Cake Love Open in Shirlington

Big neighborhood news. Cake Love is now open in Shirlington! I went in there tonight to take a peek before my pedicure, and lo and behold, Warren Brown was standing there frosting a cake! I thought it was him but wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to look like a star-struck idiot, so I just said hello and he said he'd be right with me. I wound up not getting anything immediately cause I didn't want to have to carry it into the pedicure appointment, but went back later and got vanilla/vanilla and chocolate/cream cheese cupcakes. At about $3 a pop, I was really curious how they would taste, and they weren't what I expected.

They were good, but not fabulous and I wanted fabulous. I really wanted to love, love, love Cake Love. I do, but only cause I think it's great what Warren Brown has accomplished with his life, and how he left his job as a lawyer to do what he loves in life. The cupcakes are not very sweet, and the cake is very dense, both of which I like. But they could have had a little more flavor overall. They had butter creme icing, for the most part, which isn't my favorite cause I admit I like cheap, sweet-as-hell, store-bought cupcakes! I would definitely go back, but next time I would pick a more exciting flavor (the vanilla/lemon was sold out when I got back after a 45 minute pedicure, so I guess sales are going ok there so far). The prices of cakes started at $40 for a small, so I doubt I'll be buying anything more than an occasional cupcake here or there . . . but it was mighty exciting to see the Food Network star there personally frosting cakes! They're having a grand opening on November 3, and participating in Shirlington's Oktoberfest on October 6, so come check it out!

5 comments:

NOAAgirl said...

If I remember correctly, if the cupcakes are chilled when you get them, you are supposed to let them get to room temp or something for them to taste best.

There's a Cakelove in Silver Spring, but I don't ever see a $3 cupcake being worth it. I just couldn't do it.

CC said...

Really? You couldn't do a $3 cupcake? But don't you ever buy things like scones at Starbucks which are equally ridiculously priced? BTW, they did tell me to wait until things got to room temp and we did.

NOAAgirl said...

Hmmm... I think I bought a scone at Starbucks once during grad school - but it tasted so awful I've never bought anything else. Their "baked goods" are hideous.

I probably would (and probably did) buy a $3 pastry (like a Napoleon or tart or something) from a bakery. So maybe it's not as bad as it seems. It sounds terrible, but relative to a good pastry, it's actually in line.

Of course, now that you report that the cupcake wasn't mindblowing... well it makes it all the more unlikely.

Hm.

jeffro said...

I purchased a cupcake at Best Buns just to be able to make a well-educated comparison. The BB was actually better, slightly larger, and perhaps slightly less expensive. Nevertheless, it was not *that* good. This is the extent of my foray into the world of "luxury" cupcakes. I'm sticking with Tastykake.

CC said...

The Best Bun cupcake was actually pretty excellent in my opinion!