Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Squirrel Overboard

I witnessed the weirdest thing tonight. I was walking the dogs and there was a loud ruckus overhead in the trees and all of a sudden something fell to the ground with a loud plop. I looked over and it looked like a rat lying on the ground. An adult squirrel raced down the tree to get to it, but stopped and retreated when it saw the dogs. What I thought was a rat turned out to be a baby squirrel, so small that its tail had no fur and that made it look like a rat. It started crying and it was so pitiful. I had to walk away because I wanted to give the mama squirrel a chance to get the baby, but I did go back later that night to see what happened, and by then there was a small crowd gathered and one man put it in a shoe box to take to the shelter/wildlife rescue. Wow, the drama. I hope the squirrel will be ok.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, poor baby squirrel. I'm sure he was safely transported to a rehabber. That's the stuff I do all the time for the AWLA!

Hey, we should plan for lunch soon, or something! Too long! --mj

CC said...

I know, I felt so bad for the squirrel. I really want to get together too, but I leave Sunday for a conference in Nashville. I don't get back until Friday. So...it will have to be after that. Sigh.